Are you tired of and irritated too seeing your dog to leave chunks of hair everywhere it goes in your house? Are you deciding to shave the hair of your dog and enjoying a summer without its hair all over? And now, confused whether you can really do it or not? Well, the right answer to this question actually depends on what works for both the dog owner and the Dog and what does not. In some cases, it’s better off shaving the hair of a beagle; in some others, shaving a beagle can’t really solve but worsen the problem. One of the main reasons people want to shave their Dog is shedding. But this problem can be solved in other ways too without shaving the Dog.
- Why do you need to Shave your Beagle?
- Do these things after shaving a beagle.
- Why Can’t I Shave My Beagle’s Coat Off?
- Do Beagles Need Haircuts?
Why do you need to Shave your Beagle?
Some common reasons that sometimes compel you to shave their beagles are –
- When the Dog sheds and the owner finds his home filled with Dog’s fur,
- Not having enough time to maintain Dog’s hair;
- Making a wrong guess that the Dog is feeling hot as humans do;
Apart from these, some other reasons can be laid behind peoples’ decision to shave his/her Beagle. Among the reasons, Beagle scratches its body regularly or finding the hair of a beagle matted very often.
Apparently, all these may seem logical to you to shave a beagle, but you need to think about other alternative solutions first. Shaving a beagle can cause long-term damage that you really can’t reverse. It may seem a great idea to shave a beagle, especially during summer. But remember, its coat has been protecting the dog from certain climates, what will happen if you shave the coat? Beagles love to play with dirt, did you know their coat protects them from parasites and bacteria?
Benefits of Shaving a Beagle
Shaving is not preferred for a beagle. However, in some cases you need to do it for good. When you shave your Beagle in special cases, it brings the following benefits to the Dog –
- Preventing the Dog’s coat from slowing down cooling when it lives in air conditioning or regularly lies on a cool surface.
- Protecting the Dog from annoying warm weather parasites.
- Treating fleas and ticks easily.
- Getting a water-loving dog dry more quickly.
- Preventing maggots from making it their home.
Apart from these, shaving a dog can be helpful for dogs with hot spots or bacterial infections. Being an active dog breed, you may find a shaved beagle more energetic and more comfortable. Many people find their shaved Beagle happier, and they do it again every year.
Disadvantages of Shaving a Beagle
There are some disadvantages of shaving a Beagle. They are –
- The dog will become less tolerant to harsh rays of the sun if it plays under open sky.
- If you shave a dog, it can lead the dog to heat stroke caused by the extra warmth from the rapidly growing thicker undercoat.
- A shaved beagle is more likely to have skin cancer and sunburn as it doesn’t have the needed coat to protect it from the sun.
- Shaving can lead to damage to dog’s coat permanently and losing normal hair type, look, and texture.
- Shaving may make the fur patchy, frizzy, and harsh.
- It is not a good means to fight allergies but make more exposed to an allergen.
- Complete shaving can make the dog uncomfortable and ultimately to depression. Later it could affect the overall health of the Dog.
Keep in mind Before Shaving Your Beagle.
Having known the benefits and cons of shaving a dog, you may finally decide to shave your cute Beagle. The following guidelines are for you to proceed to shave your Dog in the summer.
- Don’t shave too closely; leave a minimum of one inch of hair over the body. It will keep the dog protected from sunburn and also prevent its ingrown hairs.
- No way to use the wrong equipment; take a professional-grade clipper and sharp blade to make the work easy. Use lubricant on the blades when needed; allow the equipment enough time to get cool.
- If you don’t have enough expertise, leave the work to a professional groomer, they are less likely to cut your Dog with clippers. You can have your Dog in the style you want.
Things you need to shave a Beagle
If you want to shave your cute beagle safely, your dog grooming kit should entail
- A quality bristle brush;
- De-shedding tool;
- A good bath brush;
- Quality bath products; and
- Canine eye wipes.
Failure in choosing the right items may lead to inferior results, in some cases adverse effects.
Do these things after shaving a beagle.
If you have decided to shave your Beagle anyway, you would need to make some changes to its surroundings to help protect your pooch from the environment.
- Don’t let the dog play under open sky: Naturally the double coat on a Beagle protects it from dirt, bacteria, and the sun. If you let your Beagle play outside after shaving, make sure it is not playing under a roofless yard so that it can stay safe from direct exposure to the sun.
- Be careful about dog’s play zone: If you still choose to let them go out to play, make sure that there are multiple trees around them to provide shade. You can arrange a water pool around so that it can cool off when needed and avoid overheating.
Long exposure to the sun can be really harmful to your Beagle. It can cause issues like overheating, skin cancer as there is no protective layer on it. Shaving off your Beagle’s coat might also make your dog depressed as it notices a huge change in its body. If you shave your beagle, keep it cheerful always and never left unattended.
Why Can’t I Shave My Beagle’s Coat Off?
The coat of a Beagle has a very important purpose, and it definitely cannot afford to lose it. It is very important to protect them from The coat of a Beagle has a very important purpose, and it definitely cannot afford to lose it. It is very important to protect them from certain climate conditions. Veterinarians always advise Beagle owners not to shave a Beagle’s coat as it can cause multiple skin issues. The coat acts as a protection against dirt and the sun. If the Beagle has no coat on it, it can get penetrated by parasites and bacterias. These can make the dog seriously ill. Other than that, a coat can protect the Beagle from the sun’s harmful UV rays and save from skin cancer. The undercoat of the Dog helps to regulate the temperature of the Beagle when there is a change in weather.
Do Beagles Need Haircuts?
Beagles do not need haircuts mainly because they have a coat and not long furs. Haircuts are not needed for Beagles, but it is very important to groom them, including cleaning their ears and paws. Some Beagles, however, are sensitive to cosmetic products, which can reduce their ability to shed. Shaving a dog can prevent them from looking their best. So you need to trim their hair a bit to reduce any discomfort for your little furry friend.
Which is better for beagle Shaving or haircuts?
Shaving your Beagle is not a good idea, as it can cause multiple health issues for your Beagle. Shaving can also ruin your Dog’s coat, and in some cases, it just might not grow back again. On the other hand, giving your Beagle a haircut is unnecessary as well. As mentioned before, Beagles naturally have shorter fur, so they don’t need any more cuts, but in some cases, you might need to trim your Beagle’s hair when it loses its ability to shed its longer furs. If you do not trim, your Beagle might feel discomfort.
If you have an Australian shepherd, you can check this artilce for Shave Your Australian Shepherd
Do beagles need to be shaved?
You do not need to shave your beagle at all, their coat is very important in protecting them from the environment and keeping them safe from various health conditions. The coat is also important as it works as an insulator and helps to keep them warm during winter and cold during summer. Some owners think that shaving off a Beagle will help keep them cold during summer. This idea is completely wrong and shouldn’t be followed. A naked Beagle stays at risk of overheating as well as getting skin cancer in the summer if it has no coat on.
Does Beagle hair grow back?
Yes, beagle hair grows back, but in some cases, it take much time to grow to a full length. The undercoat of a Beagle also grows at a much faster rate compared to the upper coat. This may cause the fur of the Beagle to look uneven when it grows back to full length.
Do beagles shed a lot of hair?
Beagles do not have fluffy coats, but they still shed a lot. They have moderate shedding throughout the year and shed heavily mainly during the two shedding seasons. The two shedding seasons are mainly situated during fall and spring.