Having a Beagle is similar to having a baby for yourself. A Beagle owner needs to take proper care of their dog just as they would of their baby. A Beagle has a very colorful personality and is ideal for a home with kids. Beagles know how to show affection to their owners, and that is what makes them very lovable. If you are a fan of the John Wick series, you know how affectionate a Beagle can be. Be sure not to mess with a Beagle owner, though, and you don’t want John Wick following you. So how can you become a good Beagle Owner? We have got it all covered in this article.
Here are 7 Important tips for you to be a good Beagle owner:
1. Make your house puppy-proof.
Small Beagle puppies can be very naughty; they like to explore your house and might even swallow down small things lying around in your house. You must seal down all tight corners in your house so that your puppy doesn’t get stuck somewhere. Also, you mustn’t leave any small objects here and there as they might get swallowed by the puppy and cause it to choke. Don’t forget to keep all electrical wires out of your puppy’s reach to prevent them from getting electrocuted. Keep medicines out of their reach, and also make sure that the trash can is closed at all times so that they are not munching on trash.
2. Socialize with your Beagle
Beagles are very social animals and get along well with humans. But, in some cases, Beagles might turn out to be Introverts as well. To stop this from happening, you need to socialize with your Beagle so that they can learn to be extroverted from a very young age. For dogs socializing would mean exposing them to more people and the environment so that they can adapt to them all better. What you can do is invite more people to your house so that your Beagle can get to know them and play with them. Take them out more often in the park so that they get to meet new people. Always make sure that you are praising your dog for its positive behavior. This motivates them to be more good and repeat their behavior.
3.Training and exercising
To keep your Beagle healthy, you need to make sure that they have proper exercise daily as well as take them out for a walk. Beagles tend to be really energetic, being bred for hunting in the past. It is necessary that we take our Beagles for regular walks out in the park to make sure they are perfectly channeling their energy. This also helps them to stay in good shape and keeps their health in check. Other than exercising, it is important that you train your Beagle as well. Beagles are very mischievous pets. You need to train your beagles from a very early age so that it is easier for you to pet them. Train them daily so that they can stay well-mannered growing up.
4. Crate training your Beagle
No, you won’t be called heartless at all if you decide to confine your Beagle to a crate. Crate training is very useful for your Beagle. It not only keeps them safe, but the crate also works as their den. They stay safe there when you are busy and stay away from all kinds of trouble. Crate training is also very important to help them teach house training, as it makes things easier for you. If you have managed to train your dog properly for staying inside crates, you can go outside of the house without having to worry about your dog’s safety as they are going to stay there and save themselves from all kinds of mischief.
5. Training them to sleep when it’s night
A lot of Beagle owners complain that their puppies stay up all night and don’t let them sleep either. There are a few ways you can solve this. It is very important that you make your Beagle exercise a lot throughout the day. This makes them tired and out of energy, which will make them fall to sleep easily at night. It is also important that you don’t let them take a nap more than 3 hours before their bedtime. This will keep them sleepless at night, and they will end up staying awake. Dim the lights of their room, and keep all noises to a low so that they can have a sound sleep. You would need to follow this routine strictly when Beagles are a puppy to make sure that they turn this into a habit.
6. Do not feed them leftover human food.
Beagles love to eat, and they can try to chomp down anything that you give them to eat. But it is still very important that you do not feed them leftovers from your table. Some forms of human food can be really harmful to your Beagle. You should know what to give to them as food, so do make sure to properly educate yourself on that. Other than giving them leftovers, make sure you have proper dog food for them in place, which they can eat when they are hungry.
7. Show your Beagle a lot of care and affection.
Beagles are really cute and affectionate creatures. It is very important that you reciprocate the affection back to them. Show them a lot of care, and make sure you cuddle and snuggle with them always. Your Beagle can be really clingy, but you need to make sure that you don’t see that as intrusive. They just love you and being a good Beagle owner, and you need to love them back.
Some more insight on your Beagle:
In this part, we will tell you more about what you need to know before you get yourself a Beagle as a pet.
The qualities that a Beagle has to make sure that it is right for you
Beagles have some very attractive qualities that can make anyone consider getting a Beagle for themselves. They are relatively very small in size, which makes them easy to handle compared to other breeds out there. Beagles are very cuddle-friendly; they just love to be cuddled. If you are someone who is very affectionate towards their pets, then a Beagle would be the right pet for you. Being affectionate also means that a Beagle can be very kid-friendly. If you have kids in the house, then you should consider getting a Beagle as it would play with them at all times. It is also a very loyal pet! When you are home, your Beagle would never leave you out of their sight. This is perfect for you if you live alone and need a partner.
One very useful quality that a Beagle has is being very low maintenance, meaning you wouldn’t have to spend a lot to take care of your little furry friend. A Beagle is a very entertaining creature to have, and it will always keep your house lively and full of joy with the beaming happy personality they have. A Beagle might just be the right pet for you if you are looking at all these qualities in your future pet.
Maintaining your Beagles Ears
The most attractive feature that a Beagle can have is its ears. You need to make sure that you are taking proper care of their droopy ears at all times. The ears tend to block airflow and cause moisture and dirt to build up in their ears. You would need to know how to clean the ears as well keeping them dry at all times.
It is best to clean out the wax from your Beagle’s ears every 2 to 3 weeks. Other than that, you should check for infections at all times. Ear infections can hurt your little friend a lot, so it is important that you check for infections and take your dog to the vet whenever you spot one. Keep your Beagle’s ears dry at all times and also give them proper supplements throughout their diet. Supplements like Omega-3 helps in reducing inflammation for your Beagle, which will, in turn, keep infections at bay.
Beagles can eat fruits!
Beagles can safely eat fruits, but there are some that you should avoid giving to your dog. Fruits are an excellent source of minerals, vitamins, and other healthy nutrients and can help your Beagle to have healthy growth. Fruits that Beagles can eat are Apples, Bananas, Kiwis, Oranges, Pumpkins, Watermelons, Strawberries, e.t.c. Make sure you know the ideal amount of these fruits that you should be giving to your Beagle so that you don’t end up harming them. Feeding your Beagle with fruits is an ideal way of giving them all kinds of nutrients.
Accessories that you need to buy for your Beagle
When you are looking to get a Beagle for yourself, it is very important that you also know all the accessories that your Beagle needs to have to make sure that it can live in your house comfortably. Here are a few things that you should make sure you have when you get a Beagle for yourself.
- A Beagle Crate: We have already covered how important crate training is for your Beagle puppy. So when you decide to get a Beagle for yourself, make sure that you get a crate as well. A crate is their safe haven, a place where they can stay safe.
- A Bed for your Beagle: It is said that Beagle puppies can sleep up to 18 hours every day. Sleep is a very important part for the puppies to grow up properly. To make sure that they sleep comfortably, you need to buy a bed for your Beagle and place it inside their crate.
- Food Bowl: Make sure that you are setting a spot for your Beagle to eat their food from, and a food bowl can definitely help you in solving that. Other than a food bowl, it is wise to get your Beagle a container to drink water from. Beagles love to eat, and this is a very important accessory that you should get for them.
- An ID tag and Collar: You don’t want your Beagle to get lost, right? Beagles can be very mischievous, and if you are taking them outdoors, they might likely wander away and lose their way back to you. You must have an ID tag attached to their dog collar so that people can identify the lost Beagle and bring it back to you.
- A Leash: As mentioned earlier, Beagles are very mischievous, which makes it very important that you always keep a leash on them when you take them out for a walk. Do not expect that your Beagle would walk alongside you when you are out there in the park; they might likely run off somewhere else, and you definitely wouldn’t want to chase your puppy around the park.
- A Poop Bag: Beagle puppies won’t be house trained right when you bring them home, they might poop all-around your house, and it would be important that you keep a poop bag in hand to clean up the mess later.
- Toys for your Beagle: Your Beagle should have toys to play with. Beagles are one of the most playful breeds of dogs that one can have, and you definitely don’t want them to get bored. Therefore make sure that you get your Beagle toys for entertainment. With toys, you also need to get your Beagle puppies to chew toys. Just like humans, Beagles suffer from teething, and a chew toy helps them to get rid of the irritation in their gums. A chew toy would also keep your Beagle off your furniture. You don’t want them to chew on your furniture now, do you?
- Healthy treats: It is important to treat your Beagle puppy with treats when you are training them, and for that, you are required to get your Beagle a bag of healthy treats. Make sure you carefully select the treats you want to give to your Beagle, as unhealthy treats can harm your Beagle as well.
- Dog-friendly Shampoo: Human shampoo is not ideal to be used on a Beagle as they are very acidic. Consider getting a dog shampoo from the pet store for your Beagle, which would be safer to use on your little friend.
Questions that a new Beagle owner might ask themselves:
This section has answered a few questions that all Beagle owners ask themselves when they have decided on getting a Beagle puppy as a pet.
What would happen if we overfeed our Beagle?
Answer: Overfeeding a Beagle is not a good idea at all. Overfeeding your pet can cause them to gain extra weight, which can harm their health as well. Make sure your Beagle isn’t overheating at all, and do follow a strict diet plan for them so that you give them the required amount of food.
How to deal with your jealous Beagle?
Answer: A Beagle can be very needy for affection; that’s when you need to make sure that you are giving them enough affection. You need to give them a lot of attention to make sure that they are never alone. If you have two Beagles and your beagle might be jealous, then you need to make sure that you give them equal amounts of love as well accessories and food.
Are Beagles very protective of their owners?
Answer: Beagles are not guarding dogs, but they are still very protective of their owners. They are perfect for keeping your children around to protect them even when they are puppies. Beagles can sense when their owners are in danger and can come forward to protect them when needed.
How should you feed a Beagle puppy?
Answer: A beagle puppy should be fed food that is high in protein and rich in fiber so that it can have proper growth. Owners should form a proper nutritional chart for their Beagle to make sure that they are getting all the required amounts of nutrients.
Can Beagles eat fiber-rich food?
Answer: Yes, Beagles can eat fiber-rich food, and it is a very important part of their meal as fiber helps to keep their digestive tracts healthy. High-fiber dog food is available in the market, and you can always get a pack to feed your Beagle.
Do you need to groom your Beagle?
Answer: Yes, to keep your Beagle healthy, it is important to groom them regularly. You need to take care of their coat, skin, nails, ears, everything. Grooming a Beagle also helps in bonding with the Beagle, and you can turn out to become closer to it.
Do you need to take proper care of your Beagle?
Answer: Beagles were bred as hunting dogs, as mentioned earlier, but they have come out to be very caring and affectionate dogs. It is important that Beagle owners take proper care of their Beagle to make sure they stay healthy and live longer as well.
Do Beagles have eyesight similar to humans?
Answer: Beagles do not have powerful eyesight similar to humans; some of them have weaker eyesight. But there are some beagles that have a visual acuity closer to that of a human. A Beagle can spot an object that is 20 feet away and a human that is 75 feet away.
Do you need to cuddle your Beagle?
Answer: Yes, we have mentioned this a few times in this article. A Beagle loves to be cared for; that is why you need to take every chance of showing your Beagle love and affection. Cuddle them at all times, and I’m very sure you are going to enjoy it as well.
Can you train a Beagle at home?
Answer: Yes, most Beagle owners consider training their Beagles at home. This is also known as housebreaking. This is a very tough but sweet training for both the Beagle and the owner, as the training can be a great way for them to bond. House training might sound very complicated, but it is something that can be accomplished easily.
Beagles might seem very mischievous creatures and not suitable to keep in your house. But they are one of the best pets you can ever get for you and your kids. I mean, look at the Beagle that instilled feelings of affection in the cold-hearted John Wick himself! If you have decided to get a Beagle for yourself, then we hope that this article has all the info that you require to be a new Beagle owner. Thanks for reading.