A good dog harness can help to control the pup and change its behavior gradually. As an active breed of dog, finding the best harness for a beagle is not just a simple need but a must to avoid various irritations and risk of back pain in the future. It also can help your pup live long happily. If you are looking for the best harness for a beagle guide, you are at the right place; keep reading. In this write-up, we have discussed how to choose a perfect harness for a beagle, which factors to focus on, and presented the 7 best harnesses for beagles.
Author Pick From The Best Harnesses for Beagles
Best Crate for Dog: Comparison Table
|Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Dog Harness||Mediu Chest (18-28”)||Nylon||Double Ring||Click here|
|Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness||Medium Chest (16 – 18″)||Air Mesh||Buckle||Click here|
|Gooby Escape Free Sport Harness||Small chest (12.5-18.75″)||Air Mesh||Buckle||Click here|
Why Does My Beagle Need A Harness?
A harness is a set of straps and fittings by which you can easily control a dog, especially during walking or training or traveling. This doesn’t have much use for a naturally calm dog, but the dogs are active. Choosing a perfect harness depends on which breed you’ve; when it’s about a beagle, you’ve to choose the best one.
A beagle is a natural hunter, has strong instincts to track down its hunt, and rarely contains inspiration to run after its potential prey. Besides this, they require ample support for their elongated spines throughout the year to keep them healthy. Therefore, a perfect harness is an option you have to consider for your beagle as an owner from this ground. Furthermore, as dogs of this breed are normally stubborn, to control it easily, you need a harness. Besides that, you need to use the item when you are on a trip, and it will reduce the risk of losing as beagles are more likely to escape. And finally, a harness is the best option to keep your dog healthy as it helps to reduce its back problems.
Collar or Harness for a Beagle?
You may already know that beagles are hunting breeds, not tracking breeds; they often pull towards the interesting smell. Using a harness rather than a collar, it becomes easier to control, train your beagle. A harness is a better option because –
- You can control your pup easily by a harness, especially on the streets or during training or traveling.
- A harness will help a beagle prevent getting tangled up with a leash and possibly hurt with this process.
- A harness disperses pressure over a larger area on a beagle’s body, reducing strain on his neck and back.
- When a beagle wears a collar and pulls on the leash, it can still move, making him think that the pulling is successful. A harness reduces the pulling possibilities as it is attached to his chest or between his shoulders blades.
- A harness helps to pull up a beagle gently when it’s lying down or sitting.
- Finally, and most importantly, a harness can reduce the risk of losing your beagle.
However, you can use a collar too for a well-mannered, trained beagle.
What To Look For In A Good Harness For Beagles
When you buy a harness, many options you will find available in the market but not all of them can perform up to the notch. Therefore, before deciding on a purchase, nothing can be better than knowing the good qualities. Generally, a harness that offers adjustability, comfortability to the dog, visibility, no choking, and easy-to-wear features are good options you can consider buying.
A harness might have all the good qualities to be considered for purchasing, but it doesn’t fit your pup; it has no use. Before purchasing, make sure you properly measure the size of your dog, know its breed, how it behaves, what might make it feel comfortable, and most importantly, what the outcomes you are expecting from the harness. What other benefits a harness can offer is also to be considered before buying. Here we presented the 7 best harnesses for beagles in 2021 that might help you to decide –
1. Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Dog Harness | Large Breed Dog Harness
This Harness is Crash Tested Certified, a most widely sold crash tested and reliable harness for strong dog breeds like the beagle. It was tested for dogs weighing up to 75 pounds; the item will be very comfortable for your beloved pet. It has 5 adjustment points that allow customizing the size as per the body structure of the dog. The item includes a tether for the car and a broad, padded chest plate that offers extra protection and comfort. The tether is compatible with any car seat belt system, and it can also be used as lead for training. Medium size dogs with a neck of 16-25 inches and chest 18-28 inches are the perfect fit for the harness.
- Crash Tested;
- Suited with any car seat belt system;
- Works as an auto or walking harness;
- Adjustable as per the size and shape of the dog;
- You must measure the dog size first to adjust it accordingly;
- Metal hardware is a bit difficult to use than plastic clips.
2. Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness | Walk Your Dog With Love Harness
Made of soft, breathable air mesh, this harness is perfect for all seasons; you can get your dog to walk all year round with it. The harness is very lightweight, and its two reflective bands on the sides make sure your pet is more visible when it is in the early morning or late evening strolls. The harness might not be a perfect fit for your dog if you assume that its size corresponds to the size of your dog; measure the size of your beagle so as not to be surprised later. It offers three-layered security with its hook and loop fastener, buckle, and double D-rings.
- The harness is an all-weather fit item;
- Entails reflective bands to increase dog visibility;
- Three-layered safety to protect your beloved pet;
- Built-in high-quality fabric to ensure maximum comfort of your beagle;
- An adjustable fit if the item doesn’t fit the dog;
- Users complaints that it gets dirty easily;
- Sizing runs small very often;
3. Gooby Escape Free Sport Harness | Gooby Dog Harness
This one is made especially for small breed dogs; the largest dog that can fit into the largest harness of this brand is 35 pounds. For maximum utilities from this harness, measure the largest part of your beagle and decide upon purchase. The item has been designed to allow less scope for your dog to escape, reducing the space around the back. To avoid the dog escaping the harness, ensure that it is properly sized, fully pulled, and has no space around the back. For the comfort and durability of the item, lightweight neoprene soft materials and webbed polyester straps have been used; the soft touch of the materials reduces abrasions. Moreover, the item offers four-point adjustability.
- This is truly escape-proof;
- Offering greater adjustability with four points of adjustment;
- The harness is designed and made to provide comfortability and durability;
- Lightweight neoprene;
- The item has no use at all for the larger breeds of dog;
4. Curli Vest Harness Air | Tiny Dog Harness
You can have this item for very restricted breeds of dogs such as Pekinese, Pomeranian, Maltese, Havanese, a perfect harness for the small breeds. A unique scientific approach has been used to frame out the functionality and design of this harness. Designed in Switzerland, this item is lightweight and breathable, and it also prevents choking. The lightweight rings in the harness offer easy leash attachment, and the reflective portion on the neck brings safety in the darkness. It’s a viable alternative to a collar that brings many more benefits to a dog owner, like distributing the pressure of pulling force without getting it to take place in the sensitive neck region.
- Unique design and manufacturing process;
- Reflective Stripes;
- Size can be adjusted with a Velcro fastener that prevents choking;
- Extend a cool touch to your beloved dog even in summer;
- Some users complaint about inappropriate velcro connection and inaccurate sizing;
5. PetSafe Easy Walk Deluxe Dog Harness | Dog Cart Pulling Harness
Would you believe a harness has been trusted by millions of dog parents and trainers that was created by a veterinary behaviorist 15 years back? The item helps to teach better leash manners by minimizing the dog’s pulling gently steering him in the direction you are headed. Say goodbye to gagging or choking using this harness as it controls pulling by resting across the chest instead of the throat. Its less coverage allows your dog to stay cool and comfortable. The harness offers quality and durability with a light and breathable construction. The quick-snap shoulder and belly straps made it very easy and quick to fit the nylon harness. The exclusive collar design offers some added style. It comes in several colors and styles so that your dog can walk in style.
- Great customer service with the expert team for resizing or replacing the harness;
- It’s really quick and very easy to fit;
- Trusted and recommended by the vet and trainers;
- It’s a no-pull harness;
- It might not be a perfect fit for your pup if you don’t measure the chest and girth properly;
6. Kurgo Journey Multi-Use Dog Harness | Working Dog Harness
This one is specially designed and manufactured for dogs active in nature that love outdoor activities with their humans, great for running, hiking, camping, and walking. Use the 10-inch lead as a car dog seat belt when you are on the drive. It allows you to enjoy the freedom of running and doesn’t cause any strain on the neck or chest. You can adjust the harness in nearly every dog with 4 adjustment points. In addition, the item comes with a strong back handle for rock climbers.
- It’s an original rugged adventure harness;
- Supports a dog while it’s running;
- The item is breathable, padded, and light;
- Entails lightweight rust-resistant aluminum hardware;
- It’s overall a bit heavy;
7. Puppia Soft Ritefit Dog Harness | Fashionable Dog Harness
You can give your dog a fashionable and comfortable way to walk and roam around with this harness. It makes the outdoor activities of your pet friend easier and better, and you can have control over the dog attaching the leash to the loop. The item is made of superior breathable and soft materials to let the dog enjoy maximum possible comfort while ensuring they are safe; you don’t need to worry.
- Made of soft and breathable materials;
- Designed for an easy walk;
- Easy control over the movement of dog;
- Available in various sizes;
- The plastic locking clips are difficult to release sometimes;
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a harness or collar better for a beagle?
Beagles are a breed of dog that loves to hunt when you take them outside, you may notice that they sometimes pull towards an interesting smell coming from. This is quite natural, not anything personal to their owner. To have your beagle lead an ideal life, you need to control exercise and some off-lead time to behave instinctually. You can’t stop it pulling all around if you can’t train it to walk correctly on a lead. This will not be possible without a harness, and a collar can help very little in this regard. Go for a harness option that nicely fits your pup, offers comfortability, and much more. Collars have also specific usages and you may check anohter article for top 10 Best shock collars for beagle.
How do I get my beagle to stop pulling on the leash?
Although naturally, a beagle tries to trace the newest scent he has found, this might be frustrating to the owner and hard to their body when the dog pulls and yanks. The dog may be small, but it has an amazing will and is surprisingly strong to follow its nose. Don’t wait until your puppy becomes an adolescent; teach good leash manners as soon as you bring it home. You can also teach it self-control to make the right decision whether to chase something or stay by your side. Practicing attention by keeping him focused on you while walking and making the dog look at you when you call it can help a lot.
What is the best harness for a dog that pulls?
This might often be irritating to you if your dog pulls on the leash. But no worries, help is available! The anti-pull or no-pull harness can significantly reduce or even eliminate a dog’s pulling behavior. These harnesses take the strain off your dog’s and offer you more control over its movement and help change the pulling habit letting you walk free of stress. PetSafe Easy Walk Deluxe Dog Harness is one of the best harnesses in this category.
To have your pup always in your touch, you can use a collar or harness, whichever your companion feels good with. Still, if the question is about beagles, it’s necessary to use a harness to avoid the irritating behavior of the dog. A quality harness can make a big difference in changing your dog’s pulling behavior and help you stay free of stress while you walk with it. We hope this guide of the 7 best harnesses for beagles will favor you when you buy one for your pup. You can follow the “Author Pick From The Best Harness for Beagle” to make it easy for you to select.