Having a beagle is similar to having a baby for yourself. A beagle owner needs to take proper care of their dog just as they would their baby. A beagle has a very colorful personality and is ideal for a home with kids. Beagles know how to show affection to their owners, and that is what makes them very lovable.
If you are a fan of the John Wick series, you know how affectionate a beagle can be. However, be sure not to mess with a beagle owner; you don’t want John Wick following you. So how can you become a good beagle owner? We have got it all covered in this article.
- 7 Important Tips for You to be a Good Beagle Owner:
- Qualities That a Beagle Has to Make Sure That It is Right for You
- Questions That a New Beagle Owner Ask Themselves
- Q1: What would happen if you overfed our beagle?
- Q2: How to deal with your jealous beagle?
- Q3: Are beagles very protective of their owners?
- Q4: How should you feed a Beagle puppy?
- Q5: Can beagles eat fiber-rich food?
- Q6: Do you need to groom your beagle?
- Q7: Do you need to take proper care of your beagle?
- Q8: Do beagles have strong eyesight similar to humans?
- Q9: Do you need to cuddle your beagle?
- Q10: Can you train a Beagle at home?
- My Verdicts
7 Important Tips for You to be a Good Beagle Owner:
Make Your House Puppy-Proof
Small beagle puppies can be very naughty; they like to explore your house and might even swallow small things lying around in your home. Therefore, you must seal down all the tight corners in your place so your puppy doesn’t get stuck somewhere. Also, you mustn’t leave any small objects here and there, as they might get swallowed by the puppy and cause it to choke.
Don’t forget to keep all electrical wires out of your puppy’s reach to prevent them from getting electrocuted. Besides, keep all medicines out of their reach. And also, ensure that the trash can is permanently closed so that they are not munching on trash.
Socialize With Your Beagle
Beagles are very social animals and get along well with humans. But, in some cases, beagles might also turn out to be introverted. To stop this from happening, you need to socialize with your beagle so they can learn to be extroverted from a very young age.
For dogs, socializing would mean exposing them to more people and the environment so they can adapt to it all better. For example, you can invite more people to your house so your beagle can get to know them and play with them. Take them out more often in the park so that they get to meet new people. Always make sure that you are praising your dog for its positive behavior. This motivates them to be more good and repeat their behavior.
Training and Exercising
To keep your beagle healthy, you must ensure that they exercise properly daily and take them out for a walk. Beagles tend to be energetic, being bred for hunting in the past. Therefore, you must take your beagles for regular walks out in the park to ensure they perfectly channel their energy. This also helps them to stay in good shape and keeps their health in check.
Other than exercising, you must train your beagle as well. Beagles are very mischievous pets. You need to train your beagles from a very early age so that it is easier for you to pet them. Train them daily so that they can stay well-mannered as they grow up.
Crate Training Your Beagle
No, you won’t be called heartless at all if you decide to confine your beagle to a crate. Crate training is beneficial for your beagle. It keeps them safe, and the crate works as their den. They stay safe there when you are busy and stay away from all kinds of trouble.
Crate training is also crucial to helping them learn house training, as it makes things easier for you. For example, if you have managed to train your dog correctly to stay inside crates, you can go outside the house without having to worry about your dog’s safety, as they will stay there and save themselves from all kinds of mischief.
Training Beagle to Sleep During Night
Many beagle owners complain that their puppies stay up all night and don’t let them sleep either. There are a few ways you can solve this. First, you must make your beagle exercise a lot throughout the day. This makes them tired and out of energy, which makes them fall asleep easily at night.
It is also essential that you don’t let them take a nap more than 3 hours before their bedtime. This will keep them sleepless at night, and they will end up staying awake. Instead, dim the lights in their room and keep all noises low so they can sleep soundly. You would need to follow this routine strictly when beagles are puppies to make sure they turn this into a habit.
Do Not Feed Them Leftover Human Food
Beagles love to eat, and they can try to chew down anything you give them. But it is still vital not to feed them leftovers from your table. Some forms of human food can be really harmful to your beagle. You should know what to give them as food, so be sure to properly educate yourself on that.
Other than providing them with your leftovers, make sure you have the right dog food at home. Place their food in the right place so that they can eat it when hungry.
Show Your Beagle a Lot of Care and Affection
Beagles are adorable and affectionate creatures. You must reciprocate the affection back to them. Show them a lot of care and ensure you always cuddle and snuggle with them. Your beagle can be really clingy, but you need to ensure that you don’t see that as intrusive. They just love you, and being a good beagle owner, you need to love them back.
Some more insight on your beagle:
Qualities That a Beagle Has to Make Sure That It is Right for You
Beagles have some desirable qualities that can make anyone consider getting a beagle. They are relatively small in size, making them easier to handle than other breeds. Beagles are very cuddle-friendly; they just love to be cuddled. If you are someone who is very affectionate towards their pets, then a beagle would be the right pet for you.
Being affectionate also means that a beagle can be very kid-friendly. If you have kids in the house, you should consider getting a beagle as it will always play with them. It is also a very loyal pet! Your beagle will never leave you out of their sight when you are home. This is perfect for you if you live alone and need a partner.
A beagle’s beneficial quality is low maintenance, meaning you won’t have to spend much to care for your little furry friend. In addition, a beagle is a very entertaining creature to have, and it will always keep your house lively and full of joy with its beaming, happy personality. So a beagle might be the right pet for you if you look at all these qualities in your future pet.
Maintaining Your Beagles Ears
The most attractive feature that a beagle can have is its ears. However, you must ensure that you take proper care of their droopy ears. The ears tend to block airflow and cause moisture and dirt to build up in them. Therefore, you need to know how to clean the ears and keep them dry.
It is best to clean out the wax from your beagle’s ears every 2 to 3 weeks. Other than that, you should check for infections at all times. Ear infections can hurt your little friend, so you must check for infections and take your dog to the vet whenever you spot one.
Keep your beagle’s ears dry, and give them proper supplements throughout their diet. Supplements like Omega-3 help to reduce inflammation in your beagle, which will, in turn, keep infections at bay.
Beagles Can Eat Fruits
Beagles can safely eat fruits, but there are some that you should avoid giving to your dog. Fruits are an excellent source of minerals, vitamins, and other healthy nutrients and can help your beagle have healthy growth. Beagles can eat fruits including apples, bananas, kiwis, oranges, pumpkins, watermelons, strawberries, etc.
Make sure you know the ideal amount of the fruits you offer to your beagle, so you don’t end up harming them. Feeding your beagle with fruit is a perfect way of giving them all kinds of nutrients.
Accessories That You Need to Buy for Your Beagle
When you are looking to get a beagle for yourself, it is essential that you also know all the accessories that your beagle needs to have to make sure that it can live in your house comfortably. So, here are a few things you should ensure you have when you get a beagle for yourself.
- Beagle Crate: We have already covered how important crate training is for your beagle puppy. So when you decide to get a beagle for yourself, make sure you get a crate. A crate is their safe haven, a place where they can stay safe.
- Bed for Beagle: Beagle puppies can sleep up to 18 hours a day. Sleep is a significant part of the puppy’s growing up properly. To ensure that they sleep comfortably, you need to buy a bed for your beagle and place it inside their crate.
- Food Bowl: Make sure you set a spot for your beagle to eat its food; a food bowl can help you solve that. Besides a food bowl, getting your beagle a container to drink water is wise. Beagles love to eat; therefore, you should get an essential accessory for them.
- ID Tag and Collar: You don’t want your beagle to get lost, right? Beagles can be very mischievous, and if you are taking them outdoors, they might likely wander away and lose their way back to you. You must have an ID tag attached to your dog’s collar so that people can identify the lost beagle and bring it back to you.
- Beagle Leash: As mentioned earlier, beagles are very naughty, which makes it very important to always keep a leash on them when you take them out for a walk. Do not expect your beagle to walk alongside you when you are in the park. They might run off somewhere else, and you wouldn’t want to chase your puppy around the park.
- Poop Bag: Beagle puppies might not be house-trained when you bring them home, they might poop all around your house, and it would be important that you keep a poop bag in hand to clean up the mess later.
- Toys for Beagle: Your beagle should have toys to play with. Beagles are one of the most playful breeds of dog that one can have, and you don’t want them to get bored. Therefore, make sure that you get your beagle toys for entertainment. It would help if you also got your Beagle puppies to chew on toys. Like humans, beagles suffer from teething, and a chew toy helps them get rid of the irritation in their gums. A chew toy would also keep your beagle off your furniture. You don’t want them to chew on your furniture now, do you?
- Healthy Treats: It is important to treat your beagle puppy with treats when you are training them, and for that, you will need to get your beagle a bag of healthy treats. Make sure you carefully select the treats you want to give your beagle, as unhealthy treats can also harm your beagle.
- Dog-friendly Shampoo: Human shampoo is not ideal to be used on a beagle as they are very acidic. Consider getting a dog shampoo from the pet store for your beagle, which would be safer to use on your little friend.
Questions That a New Beagle Owner Ask Themselves
This section has answered a few questions that all beagle owners ask themselves when deciding to get a beagle puppy as a pet.
Q1: What would happen if you overfed our beagle?
A: Overfeeding a Beagle is not a good idea at all. Overfeeding your pet can cause them to gain extra weight, which can also harm their health. Make sure your beagle isn’t overheating, and follow a strict diet plan for them so that you give them the required amount of food.
Q2: How to deal with your jealous beagle?
A: A Beagle can be very needy for affection; that’s when you need to ensure that you give them enough appreciation. You need to provide them with a lot of attention to ensure they are never alone. If you have two beagles, your beagles might be jealous of each other. In that case, you need to make sure that you give them equal amounts of love, accessories, and food.
Q3: Are beagles very protective of their owners?
A: Beagles are not guarding dogs but are still very protective of their owners. They are perfect for keeping your children around to protect them, even when they are puppies. Beagles can sense when their owners are in danger and can come forward to protect them when needed.
Q4: How should you feed a Beagle puppy?
A: A beagle puppy should be fed food that is high in protein and fiber to ensure proper growth. Beagle owners should have a useful nutritional chart for their beagles to make sure that they are getting all the required amounts of nutrients.
Q5: Can beagles eat fiber-rich food?
A: Yes. Beagles can eat fiber-rich foods, an essential part of their meals as fiber helps keep their digestive tracts healthy. High-fiber dog food is available on the market, and you can always get a pack to feed your beagle.
Q6: Do you need to groom your beagle?
A: Yes. To keep your beagles healthy, they should be groomed regularly. You need to take care of their coat, skin, nails, ears, everything. Grooming a beagle also helps bond with the beagle, so you can become closer to it.
Q7: Do you need to take proper care of your beagle?
A: Beagles were bred as hunting dogs, as mentioned earlier, but they have come out to be very caring and affectionate dogs. Beagle owners must take proper care of their beagles to make sure they stay healthy and live longer.
Q8: Do beagles have strong eyesight similar to humans?
A: Beagles do not have powerful eyesight like humans, and some might have weaker vision. But there are some beagles that have a visual acuity closer to that of a human. For example, a beagle can spot an object 20 feet away compared to a human’s 75 feet.
Q9: Do you need to cuddle your beagle?
A: Yes. I have mentioned this a few times in this article. A beagle loves to be cared for; that is why you need to take every chance to show your beagle love and affection. Cuddle them at all times, and I’m very sure you are going to enjoy it too.
Q10: Can you train a Beagle at home?
A: Yes. Most beagle owners consider training their Beagles at home, which is also known as housebreaking. This is a very tough but sweet training for both the beagle and the owner, as the training can be a great way for them to bond. House training might sound very complicated, but it is something that can be accomplished quickly.
Beagles might seem like very mischievous creatures and are not suitable to keep in your house. But they are one of the best pets you can ever get for you and your kids. I mean, look at the beagle that instilled feelings of affection in the cold-hearted John Wick himself!
If you have decided to get a beagle for yourself, then I hope this article has all the information that you require to be a new beagle owner. Thanks for reading.